We have a mexican restaurant near our house. They make fresh tortillas and it is super soft and yummy. We get that occasionally and I try to make some mexican dish. I made some veggie quesadilla for the kids and a veggie fajita for us. It was a delicious and healthy dinner.
Vegetable Stir Fry
- 1 Bell Pepper (any color)
- 1 Yellow Squash
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Small Red Onion
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Red chile powder (to taste)
- 1 tsp Cumin
1. Cut all the vegetables into thin strips. Add oil, red chilie powder, salt and cumin.
2.Mix it well so that vegetables are coated well. Leave it aside for half hour.
3.In a frying pan add oil and once it is hot add the vegetables. Roast it for few minutes.
4.The vegetables should be crunchy.
- 1 small onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1 can of black beans
Salt to taste
1. Chop the onions,tomato and jalapeno. Add oil to the frying pan.
2. Fry the onions until it turns transclucent. Add the jalapenos and tomato.
3. Drain the black beans and wash it in cold water. You can also add pinto beans. You can also soak the beans previous day and pressure cook it.
3. Once the tomato turns mushy, add salt. Add the black beans and fry it for few minutes and mash it with a potato masher.
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 tsp butter/oil
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 1 Lime
- 1/4 cup Cilantro
1. Soak the basmati rice in water for 1/2 hour.
2. In a frying pan add butter/oil. Once its hot add the rice and fry it for few seconds. Add 2 cup water and close the pan. Keep the stove in medium heat. Add salt to taste.
3. Once the rice is cooked in about 15 minutes, add lime juice and the chopped corainder.
- 1/2 cup lettuce chopped
- Salsa (I used store bought)
- Guacomole (I skipped it as I was lazy :-) )
- Mexican cheese
To assemble Fajita
1. Heat frying pan and add a 1 tsp of oil. Put the tortilla and heat it for few sec on each side.
2. Add the refried bean,vegetables,lettuce, salsa and Guacomole and some mexican cheese. Roll it up and heat in the tawa for few seconds
To assemble quesadilla
1. Heat oil in a fruying pan. Put the tortilla and heat it for few sec on each side.
2. Add the refried beans and vegetables. Sprinkle mexican cheese on top of it.
3. Cover it with another tortilla. Let it remain in heat until the cheese has melted. Remove from heat and using pizza cutter, cut the tortillia into wedges.